Full disclosure; I’m a food stylist, not a chef. It’s my job to make food look beautiful but by no means would I consider myself a superstar in the kitchen. Anything that is effortless and elegant is right up my alley – and these chai spiced poached pears are just that. Most of the recipe is hands off and it’s nearly impossible to fail and guaranteed to impress your guests.
• 4 ripe but firm Bosc or D’anjou pears, peeled
• 1 cup of mascarpone cheese
• 4 chai tea bags
• 3 cups boiling water
• 2 tbs honey
• 2 cinnamon sticks
• 1 tbs ground cinnamon
1. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil and add chai tea bags. Let the bags steep for 8-10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and stir in the honey. Add the pears, cinnamon sticks, and add just enough water to barely cover them. Bring to a simmer and cook for 25-35 minutes, or until the pears are tender. Remove the pears with slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Bring the liquid to a rolling boil. Let boil until syrupy, about 30 minutes.
3. Place pears in a shallow dish or bowl. Pour some of the warm poaching syrup over the pears and add a spoonful of mascarpone on the side. Dust with cinnamon and serve immediately.
tip: place the peeled pears in a bowl of cold water to prevent browning.
**original post can be seen here